About Cardigan House

Cardigan House is owned by Progress to Change and works in close partnership with the Ministry of Justice, the National Probation Service and Community Rehabilitation Companies.  It is contracurally funded by the Ministry of Justice.

Over the years the purpose of Approved Premises has evolved, and the resident profile is now mainly post-custody offenders who present a high / very high risk of harm or re-offending.

Cardigan House takes great pride in seeking to work closely with the residents in assisting them to address their problems, helping them to take advantage of the opportunity to review their lifestyle and make appropriate changes.


Cardigan House was first used in 1932 as a ‘safe’ house by the Ripon Diocese of the Church of England, and was then converted to a Working Boys Hostel.  In 1970 Cardigan House became an Approved Bail and Probation Hostel, and has been in operation as such since that time.  .

More information can be found on our history page.